If we're going to move critical software infrastructure to memory safe code we're going to need to make some investments in tools. It needs to be as easy as possible to build safer software.
What We've Done
- We contracted with Rémy Rakic to improve Rust compile times from January 2022 through September 2023.
- We contracted with Ferrous Systems to make various improvements to the bindgen tool. Work started in August of 2022 and concluded in December of 2023. The following work was completed:
- 138 issues closed
- 160 PRs merged
- Staging and release of new versions of bindgen has been automated
- Improved build times
- Notable Fix: allowlist entries like allowlist_function show no warning when they don't match anything
- Notable Fix: sort all items emitted based on their item type
- Notable Fix: Generate C code to export static inline functions
Our work in this area is complete for now.
From our Blog
An update about improving Bindgen from our partners at Ferrous Systems.